Terms of Reference
1. The promotion and maintenance of high standards of conduct within the Council:
· To advise the Council on the adoption or revision of its Code of Conduct
· To monitor and advise the Council about the operation of its Code of Conduct in the light of best practice, changes in the law and relevant guidance
· To determine the Arrangements and Guidance for dealing with any Code of Conduct matters
· To determine any allegations of a breach of such protocols by members in accordance with procedures adopted by the Committee
2. To ensure that all members of the Council have access to training in all aspects of the Member Code of Conduct, that this training is actively promoted, and that members are aware of the standards expected from local councillors under the Code.
3. Other functions:
· All functions relating to standards of conduct of members under any relevant legislation or Regulations
· Advising the Council on the adoption or revision of any relevant supporting protocols relating to standards of conduct by members, monitoring the operation of such protocols and providing training for members on them
· Granting dispensations to councillors and co-opted members from requirements relating to interests set out in the Members Code of Conduct
· Dealing with reports from the Monitoring Officer
· Granting exemptions for politically restricted posts.
4. To carry out all the above functions in respect of Parish Councils and their members for which the Borough Council is responsible under any relevant provision of, or Regulations made under the Local Government Act 2000 or any amendment or re-enactment thereof.
Support officer: Democratic Services. 01900 516809