Agenda and minutes

Overview and Scrutiny Committee - Friday 16th July, 2021 1.30 pm

Venue: Wigton Market Hall

Contact: Ian Hinde  01900 702544

Items
No. Item

96.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 131 KB

To sign as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 18 June 2021.

 

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 18 June 2021 were signed as a correct record.

97.

Declaration of Interests

Councillors/Staff to give notice of any disclosable pecuniary interest, other registrable interest or any other interest and the nature of that interest relating to any item on the agenda, in accordance with the adopted Code of Conduct.

Minutes:

None declared

98.

Questions

To answer questions from members of the public – submitted in writing or by electronic mail no later than 5.00pm on a working day, allowing two clear working days before the day of the meeting.

 

Minutes:

None received

99.

Public Participation

To hear representations from members of the public on items which appear on the agenda – submitted in writing or by electronic mail no later than 5.00pm, 2 working days before the meeting.

Minutes:

None received

100.

Further update on the outside body reports from the member representatives

Minutes:

The Policy Officer (Scrutiny and Partnerships) provided an update to members of the reports received from member of the LEP Scrutiny Group.

 

Councillor Pitcher (Executive Member: Customer Experience and Innovation) was in attendance to provide updates to members on the Allerdale Disability Association and Cumbria Community Foundation. Councillor Pitcher also advised members that he was recently appointed Armed Forces Champion and has begun working with various bodies in the Allerdale Area.

 

The Chair agreed that the members who have yet to submit reports can do so by the next meeting of the Committee.

Councillors Scott and Harrington joined the meeting

101.

The Local Focus Hub pdf icon PDF 290 KB

To explore the internal management of the Council’s processes in dealing with any issues raised which are passed to the Hub, including how information if provided back to the originator.

 

Minutes:

Councillor Pitcher provided an overview of the Allerdale Local Focus Hub, explaining the Hub includes Fire and Rescue, Cumbria Constabulary, Charitable Associations, Housing Associations, Probation Services and various groups working within the Community. Members and the public can report issues via Police 101 services, via MyAllerdale App or via a phone call to Allerdale Customer Services and if necessary they are taken to the Hub.

 

Due to the length of time to achieve outcomes and the issue of confidentiality, it is not always possible to provide updates to members on actions taken within the Hub. Members however can receive regular updates from the Police via its newsletter. Member briefing sessions were held but due to poor attendance, they were withdrawn.

 

Members then asked questions in relation to the Hub Management, and specifically the role of the Hub Manager, in response Councillor Pitcher will provide a written response to members.

 

Debate then ensued and members expressed frustration at the fact they are not informed of outcomes and are not given sufficient feedback, concerns were also raised over the Hub reporting methods.

 

Councillor Pitcher reiterated that confidentiality is one of the main reasons why feedback is not readily available and that some information is restricted, even to elected members.

 

 

 

Councillor Lansbury joined the meeting

102.

Overview and Scrutiny Committee Annual Report pdf icon PDF 215 KB

To review and agree the draft summary

 

Minutes:

The Chair introduced the draft report, advising that the foreword will be to follow.

 

Members noted the contents of the Report.

103.

Third report of the Response to the Pandemic Task and Finish Group pdf icon PDF 647 KB

To agree the report from the Task and Finish Group

 

Minutes:

The Chair introduced the item, advising that the Task and Finish Group has worked on three phases of the response to the pandemic. This third phase focused on transformation  and the delivery of services.

 

The Chair then went through the recommendations and discussion ensued in relation to access to services, especially residents who do not have online access. In relation to officers working away from Allerdale House, members acknowledged that this could make officers more accessible to communities.

 

Members agreed to the recommendations.

 

The Programme Director (Transformation and Operating Model) then provided an overview of the new approach to customer services, including the fulfilment centre, document management and delivery models. The officer then provided examples to members on innovations made to parking and pest control services.

 

Members asked questions of the officer in relation to the new and existing document management practices.

 

A summary report of the full work of the Pandemic Task and Finish Group, which includes parts one and two will be considered at the next meeting.

104.

Centre for Governance and Scrutiny guidance on the relationship between Scrutiny and Audit pdf icon PDF 406 KB

To identify any actions required as a result of this newly published guidance.

 

Minutes:

The Chair introduced the report and welcomed the Chair of the Audit Committee, Councillor Tyson to the meeting.

 

Councillor Tyson expressed his views on the report and on the key differences between Audit and Overview and Scrutiny.

 

Members debated the report, with members expressing that Audit and Overview and Scrutiny should remain separate.


The Deputy Monitoring Officer confirmed that joint training will be arranged for the members of both committees.

 

The Chair advised members that the Co-Chairs of Overview and Scrutiny will work with the Chair and Vice Chair of Audit to review the recommendations.

 

 

 

 

 

105.

Forward Plan pdf icon PDF 236 KB

Minutes:

Members noted the contents of the Forward Plan.

 

 

106.

Work Programme and Outcomes Monitoring

Minutes:

The draft work programme was circulated to members for this item.

 

Members agreed the contents of the Work Programme for 2021/22.

107.

Task and Finish Groups

To agree terms of reference and scope of the initial group.

Minutes:

The draft outline and scope for the following task and finish groups were circulated to members.

 

·  Community Leadership

·  Culture, Arts and Leisure Provision

·  Young People and Corporate Parenting

 

Debate ensued in relation to Local Government Reorganisation, members acknowledging that it will be difficult to make some recommendations and judgements. On this the Chair advised that any recommendations from the Task and Finish Groups will be made to whichever body succeeds Allerdale Borough Council.

 

Members agreed that the Sports, Arts and Culture Provision Task and Finish Group is of greater importance and suggested that this Task and Finish Group starts work first, followed by Community Leadership and then Young People and Corporate Parenting.

 

 

 

Councillor Greaney left the meeting

The Chair Moved:

“That under Section 100A (4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business on the grounds that it may involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 3 of part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act”.

108.

Keswick Spa Closure

Minutes:

Members were provided with information relating to the decision to close Keswick Spa.

 

Councillor Markley (Executive Member: Leisure and Tourism) attended the meeting to answer questions from members.

 

Councillor Daniels left the meeting

109.

Strategic Delivery Partner

Minutes:

Members were provided with information relating to the appointment of a strategic delivery partner.

 

The Programme Director (Transformation and Operating Model) provided a brief to members and the decision to be made at Executive on 21 July 2021.

 

It is recommended that the Executive appoint Mott MacDonald as strategic delivery partner via the Crown Commercial Services Framework RM3745 for a period of nine months. This is to provide additional capacity and support for the delivery of Regeneration and Investment Programme including projects identified in the Economic Recovery and Growth Strategy, the development of business cases for the projects within the Workington Town Deal, and continued development and delivery of the regeneration projects in Maryport through the Future High Street Fund programme.

 

The Committee made a recommendation to the Executive that the contractual arrangements provide for Mott MacDonald to attend and give evidence at Overview and Scrutiny and at Audit Committee is required.

 

Members also asked questions of the officers and noted the contents of the report and information provided.