Venue: Allerdale House, Workington
Contact: Democratic Services 01900 702550
Election of Chairman
Councillor A Smith was elected as chairman for the ensuing meeting.
“That under Section 100 (A) (4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they may involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraphs 1 and 4 of part 1 of Schedule 12 (a) of the Act.”
Proposed Senior Management Restructure
Report to follow.
The Panel considered a report from the Chief Executive proposing a change to the Council’s Senior Management arrangements.
It was proposed that the layer of ‘Strategic Manager’ be removed from the Senior Management of the organisation to be replaced by one post of Corporate Director. In addition the post of Deputy Chief Officer was to be replaced by a second post of Corporate Director.
The Chief Executive outlined the reasons for the proposed changes which were:
· A reduction in senior management costs
· Improved management accountability
· Improved communication and linkages between staff
· To reflect the priorities of the new administration and legislative changes
Reference was also made to a proposed re-structure at service manager level which would be carried out in due course.
Members referred to the potential risk of reducing Senior Management numbers to the degree proposed. The Chief Executive accepted that there was some risk associated with the proposals but that a senior leadership team of three was satisfactory in his opinion. It was important however that capacity below this level was robust to ensure satisfactory service provision and good governance.
Resolved – That:
1. The proposed new senior management structure be agreed for consultation with staff and the Trade Union.
2. The proposed way forward for progressing the restructure as outlined in the report of the Chief Executive be approved