Agenda and minutes

Harrington Harbour and Dock Board
Friday 16th June, 2017 2.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, Allerdale House. View directions

Contact: Democratic Services  01900 702502

Items
No. Item

1.

Declaration of Interests

Councillors/Staff to give notice of any disclosable pecuniary interest, other registrable interest or any other interest and the nature of that interest relating to any item on the agenda in accordance with the adopted Code of Conduct.

Minutes:

None declared.

2.

Minutes of meeting Friday 17 March 2017 of Harrington Harbour and Dock Board pdf icon PDF 53 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 17 March 2017 were agreed as a correct record.

3.

Harbour Master's Report pdf icon PDF 62 KB

Minutes:

The Harbour Master provided the Board with an update on current and future issues surrounding Harrington Harbour.

 

Members noted that the Harbour Master had found a suitable work boat. The Safety and Resilience Manager commented that the boat would need inspected annually and insured.

 

Members asked whether mooring fees would need to be paid for the work boat. The Safety and Resilience Manager confirmed that fees would not need paid as the boat was not for recreational use.

 

Members noted the fabrication works taking place around the harbour, the details of which were in the report.

 

Members noted that meetings had taken place between the Building Surveyor, Harbour Master and contractors with regard to dredging works at the harbour. A contractor had been provided with dates for the works, which were included in the report. The Safety and Resilience Manager asked that the contractor’s details be sent to him, with a Health and Safety perspective. The Building Surveyor agreed to provide these.

 

A letter had been received dated 2 June 2017, marked for the attention of the Harrington Harbour and Dock Board. The letter raised concerns over a container at the harbour which had been lifted from below the harbour wall and placed on the harbour side without planning permission being obtained. The Building Surveyor confirmed that prior to moving the container he had contacted Planning Services at the Council to enquire as to whether planning permission was needed. Planning Services had confirmed that planning permission was not needed, citing the following sections of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015:

 

‘Part 12

Development by local authorities

 

Class A

Permitted development

 

A. The erection or construction and the maintenance, improvement or other alteration by a local authority or by an urban development corporation of—

 

(a) any small ancillary building, works or equipment on land belonging to or maintained by them required for the purposes of any function exercised by them on that land otherwise than as statutory undertakers;

 

(b) lamp standards, information kiosks, passenger shelters, public shelters and seats, telephone boxes, fire alarms, public drinking fountains, horse troughs, refuse bins or baskets, barriers for the control of people waiting to enter public service vehicles, electric vehicle charging points and any associated infrastructure, and similar structures or works required in connection with the operation of any public service administered by them.

 

Interpretation of Class A

 

A.1 For the purposes of Class A, “urban development corporation” has the same meaning as in Part 16 of the Local Government, Planning and Land Act 1980 (urban development)(1).

 

A.2 The reference in Class A to any small ancillary building, works or equipment is a reference to any ancillary building, works or equipment not exceeding 4 metres in height or 200 cubic metres in capacity.

 

Class B

Permitted development

 

B. The deposit by a local authority of waste material on any land comprised in a site which was used for that purpose on 1st July 1948 whether or not the superficial area  ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

4.

Budget Update pdf icon PDF 51 KB

Minutes:

The Building Surveyor provided the Board with an update on the council’s budget for the harbour.

 

Invoices had been sent for mooring fees for a total of £2,835.04. Another invoice was due to be sent when details of another boat in the harbour were provided.

 

There were currently orders for the following:

 

Harbour work boat - £2,500

 

Clearing the roads at the harbour - £5,500

Further works around the harbour - £800

 

Re-siting of cabin - £250

 

Agreed

 

That the report be noted.

5.

Safety Management System Framework pdf icon PDF 311 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members noted the Safety Management System framework, which had been revised by the Safety and Resilience Manager for 2017-19.

 

The framework included the Port Marine Safety Plan, also revised for 2017-19.

 

Members also noted that a Health and Safety Audit had been carried out on the framework. The Safety and Resilience Manager informed members that he was working on a Risk Assessment Policy with regard to the harbour. This would increase the overall percentage of compliance against the framework.

 

The following signed their approval of the framework:

 

Councillor B Cannon (Chair)

Councillor J Osborn (Member)

C Grant (Member)

B Chambers (Safety and Resilience Manager)

G Doran (Harbour Master)

T Hurst (Building Surveyor)

 

The framework would also need signed by the following before it could be approved:

 

Councillor C Armstrong (Member)

M Messenger (Member)

 

The Safety and Resilience Manager was asked to create a Training Policy with regard to the Harrington Harbour and Dock Board.

 

Agreed

 

That:

 

1.  the Safety Management System framework 2017-19 be approved, subject to the additional signatories

 

2.  the Safety and Resilience Manager create a Training Policy with regard to the Harrington Harbour and Dock Board

6.

Health and Safety

Minutes:

The Safety and Resilience Manager informed the Board that he had received a letter from Trinity House regarding defective aids to navigation at the harbour and claiming that contact was attempted with the Council a number of times without success.

 

Members noted that the Safety and Resilience Manager planned to meet with the Harbour Master and relative officers to carry out an investigation and asked the Democratic and Support Services Manager to write to Trinity House to provide them with the correct contact information for Harrington Harbour matters to ensure that there were no issues with future correspondence.

 

Agreed

 

That the Democratic and Support Services Manager write to Trinity House to provide them with the correct contact information for Harrington Harbour matters to ensure that there are no issues with future correspondence.

7.

Any Other Business

Minutes:

None.